The original UNO 5k Carrera de los Muertos/Race of the Dead will be held on Saturday, November 3rd at 8:00am. The Carrera de los Muertos is the UNO Charter School Network’s largest fundraiser for after school programming.
The UNO 5k Carrera de los Muertos continues to grow every year! Last year’s race was sold-out with over 2,500 participants. This year, we are expecting over 3,000 participants!!! Be sure to be a part of the most unique 5k race in the Chicagoland area:
- The only 5k race that goes through both historic Pilsen and University Village neighborhoods
- Overall winners and runners who finish in the top three of their respective age division will be awarded a one-of-a-kind skull decorated by a student of the UNO Charter School Network
- Runners will find entertainment throughout the race course, including mariachi, traditional folkloric dance groups, and DJ’s
- Post race party that offers delicious Mexican food and entertainment
- Plus other tricks we have up our sleeves
Early Bird Online Registration (May 12 th – Aug. 12th): $35.00
Online Registration from Aug. 13th until online registration closes: $40.00
(Please Note: online registration will close at Midnight on October 28, 2012.)
Race Day Registration: $45.00 – unless entries to the race are sold out prior to race day.
Location and times will to be announced the first or second week of October 2012.
Race Day Packet Pick-Up
You can pick up race packets at the race site from 6:15am to 7:45am. The packet pick-up tents are located in the Bartolome de las Casas parking lot, located at 1641 W. 16th St. Chicago, Illinois.
RACE DAY REGISTRATION
Unless entries to the race are sold out prior to race day (November 3, 2012), registration at the race will be available but in limited numbers from 6:15am to 7:45am..
8:00 am 5K Run/Walk
8:50 am Post –race entertainment
9:15 am Awards ceremony
Frequently Asked Questions
Are baby strollers allowed?
Baby strollers are permitted. Please be considerate and line-up towards the back.
Can participants wear costumes?
YES! Participants are HIGHLY encouraged to dress in their Halloween best. Costume contest will be held during the post-race party.
Is there a gear check area?
Gear check will be provided for all participants.
Where can I park?
UNO strongly encourages public transportation for this event. There is a very limited amount of residential parking to the west of Bartolome de las Casas School (the race will go east which means parking will be more limited in these areas). Bus riders can get off on 18th and Ashland. Participants who are planning on taking the train can take use the Pink Line and get off on 18th Street.
Can I get a refund?
Unfortunately, we will not be able to issue refunds after you have registered for the race. Bibs also cannot be transferred from one individual to another.
More Carrera Information
- – Water stations will be present at the race start/finish, as well as at the 1.5 mile mark on the course.
- – Mile Markers will be visible on the course.
- – Make sure to stick around for the post-race festivities and free giveaways.
- – Entertainment includes Mariachis and traditional folk dancing.
- – There will be musical entertainment along the race route.
- – There will be gear check available for participants.
- – Medical staff will be on hand in case of emergency.