Registration opens August 1st!
Check out our video from last year’s SOLD OUT race to get a taste of what’s in store for this year.
Race Day: Saturday, November 1, 2014 at 8:00am
Bartolome De Las Casas Charter School
An UNO Charter School Campus
1641 W. 16th St. Chicago, IL 60608
Join the United Neighborhood Organization in promoting health and wellness in our communities through active lifestyles by running/walking and celebrating el dia de los Muertos/Day of the Dead. The United Neighborhood Organization’s 8th Annual Carrera de los Muertos/Race of the Dead 5k will be held on Saturday, November 1st at 8:00am.
The Carrera de los Muertos/Race of the Dead 5k continues to grow every year! Last year’s race was sold-out with more than 5,000 participants. Be part of Chicago’s culturally rich Hispanic traditions in the city’s most creatively vibrant and ecclectic neighborhood of Pilsen.
- The only 5k race that runs through Pilsen and University Village in Chicago
- Overall winners and runners who finish in the top three of their age division will be awarded a one-of-a-kind skull decorated and painted by a student of the UNO Charter School Network
- Runners will find a variety of entertainment throughout the race course, including mariachi, traditional folkloric dance groups, and Chicago House Music DJ’s
- The post race party brings you authentic and delectable Mexican and Latin American eats in a traditional Day of the Dead celebratory setting.
2014 Race Map
Transportation to the Race
The use of Public Transportation is strongly encouraged. Street parking is very limited. Please use the information below in getting to the UNO 5K.
Top male and female finishers as well as runners who finish in the top three of their age/gender divisions will be awarded an original student painted Carrera de los Muertos Champions Skull.
Champions Skulls will be awarded to the following age/gender divisions: 9‑10, 11‑12, 13‑14, 15‑19, 20‑24, 25‑29, 30‑34, 35‑39, 40‑44, 45‑49, 50‑54, 55‑59, 60‑64, 65‑69, 70‑74, 75‑79, 80 and over
Frequently Asked Questions
Are baby strollers allowed?
Baby strollers are permitted. Please be considerate and line-up towards the back.
Can participants wear costumes?
YES! Participants are HIGHLY encouraged to dress in their Halloween best. Costume contest will be held during the post-race party.
Is there a gear check area?
Gear check will be provided for all participants.
Where can I park?
UNO strongly encourages public transportation for this event. There is a very limited amount of residential parking to the west of Bartolome de las Casas School (the race will go east which means parking will be more limited in these areas). Bus riders can get off on 18th and Ashland. Participants who are planning on taking the train can take the Pink Line and get off on 18th Street.
Can I get a refund?
Unfortunately, we will not be able to issue refunds after you have registered for the race. Bibs also cannot be transferred from one individual to another.
More Carrera Information
- Water stations will be present at the race start/finish, as well as at the 1.5 mile mark on the course.
- Mile Markers will be visible on the course.
- Make sure to stick around for the post-race festivities and free giveaways.
- Entertainment includes Mariachis and traditional folk dancing.
- There will be musical entertainment along the race route.
- There will be gear check available for participants.
- Medical staff will be on hand in case of emergency.